There are a lot of things to consider when putting together a list of the top solar energy companies. Should they be ranked by profits? By total solar capacity installed? In the end, we selected the five national solar energy companies consumers should know about. These solar energy companies are not only important players in the Read the full article…
There are a lot of things to consider when putting together a list of the top solar energy companies. Should they be ranked by profits? By total solar capacity installed? In the end, we selected the five national solar energy companies consumers should know about. These solar energy companies are not only important players in the industry, but also are companies that are making headlines in the news. Check out SolarContact.com for more information about solar energy companies in your region.
1. Rosendin Electric is the oldest company on our list. Founded in 1919 as an electrical contractor, this San Jose, CA based company has experience installing mid to large-scale solar projects throughout the United States, Puerto Rico, and Guam. As of 2013, Rosendin Electric has over 3500 employees and almost 500 total megawatts of solar capacity installed. Though this venerable electrical business is just starting to establish itself in the solar industry, it is already a growing presence among solar energy companies.
2. SolarCity is one of the top solar energy companies in the U.S. Any list of solar energy companies would be incomplete without mentioning SolarCity. The publicly traded company was founded in San Mateo, California in 2006. It was co-founded by brothers Peter and Lyndon Rive, cousins of entrepreneur Elon Musk, who is also Chairman of SolarCity. Their innovative business model includes a solar leasing option that significantly reduces the upfront cost of solar for consumers. They also build electric car chargers. From the start, SolarCity has been a leader among solar energy companies, in both residential and commercial solar installations. SolarCity has installed over 1,000 megawatts of capacity, and employs over 6,000 people across 17 states and Washington D.C. All of these achievements make SolarCity one of the most exciting solar energy companies in the U.S. today.
3. NRG Energy was founded in 1989 and is dually based out of New Jersey and Texas. The company was originally part of Xcel Energy and spun off in 2004. NRG’s assets include the world’s largest solar thermal power plant, the Ivanpah Project located in California’s Mojave Desert. As of 2013, NRG controlled over 1,200 megawatts of capacity, making it one of the largest solar energy companies.
4. SunPower Corporation was found in 1985. This company designs and manufactures solar panels based on a crystalline silicon technology invented at Stanford University. SunPower is also the owner of a patent on a technology that allows its panels to track the sun as it moves across the sky. A majority stake in the company is held by Total oil and gas, and the company is publicly traded on the NASDAQ.
5. First Solar is another one of the juggernaut solar energy companies, not only in the U.S. but internationally. First Solar was founded in 1990. After being sold in 1999 the company started trading publicly on the NASDAQ in 2006. First Solar is currently the world’s second largest manufacturer of solar panels. They also provide utility scale solar power plants and have installed over 10 gigawatts of solar capacity worldwide. First Solar was ranked 6th on Fast Company’s list of the world’s 50 most innovative companies, 1st on Forbes’s list of America’s 25 fastest growing tech companies, and also 1st on Solar Power World magazine’s rankings of solar energy companies.